When Cam Newton was released by the Carolina Panthers, the Los Angeles Chargers were widely viewed as a good fit for the star quarterback.
But the Chargers didn’t sign Newton, choosing to stick with veteran Tyrod Taylor and second-year backup Easton Stick before drafting Justin Herbert with the No. 6 overall pick in last month’s NFL draft.
Chargers coach Anthony Lynn acknowledged in a recent interview with CBS Sports Radio that Los Angeles “absolutely” considered signing Newton, saying, “We did take a look at that.”
When asked why the Chargers ultimately passed on the 2015 NFL MVP, Lynn said he feels “really good about the quarterback room that I have.”
“But with him, Tyrod Taylor and knowing that we had an opportunity to get one picking sixth in the draft — all those decisions came into play when talking about Cam.”
Newton, 31, missed 14 games last season because of a foot injury that required surgery, and he also has battled a shoulder injury in recent years. He remains unsigned since being released by Carolina on March 24.
“Cam’s a tremendous quarterback,” Lynn said. “He’s been an MVP of this league, he’s led his team to a Super Bowl and he’s healthy now, from what I hear.
“Cam’s going to be on somebody’s roster. He’s going to help somebody win a few games.”
Credit: Source link