At least 80 KCSE candidates in Matungulu Boys High School in Kangundo Sub County have stormed out of the institution, claiming they are tired of studying.
The students walked out of the school Wednesday evening without rioting, moments after boycotting meals earlier in the day, leaving behind only 36 students in school.
Some of them who talked to journalists in Tala town said they were unhappy with the school administration, which they termed as “too strict.”
“We are tired of studying. The principal has been too strict and has been denying us our rights. We prefer to stay at home and only come to do our examinations when the time comes,” said one of the students.
They also cited poor diet and withdrawal of weekly entertainment sessions by the school administration as other reasons for their dissatisfaction.
But speaking to Standard Digital Thursday morning, the school principal, Joseph Makau condemned the student’s actions, terming it ‘a display of gross misconduct.’
“Those who walked out of the school are suffering from ‘freestyle’ kind of living where they don’t want to adhere to basic regulations for conducive learning. We will remain firm and as a school, we will not entertain any indiscipline that threatens smooth learning,” said the principal.
The principal revealed that before the nationwide closure of schools due to the Covid-19 outbreak, a number of students were on counselling due to the use of hard drugs.
Makau, however, said he had notified all the parents of the students who had stormed out of the school about the incident. The principal said the students did not destroy any school property.
Credit: Source link