Sir Elton John has been forced to lay off long-serving bandmates and a number of household staff after suffering losses of tens of millions of pounds due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The 73-year-old music legend has been forced to cancel a number of dates on his Farewell Yellow Brick Road world tour due to the ongoing health pandemic.
Sir Elton is said to have lost £60 million as a result after being forced to cancel or postpone 34 of his US dates for the farewell tour – which is to be his last before retirement.
While a further 48 dates between September and December are hanging in the balance as the pandemic and social distance rules make it unlikely thousands of fans will be permitted to pack into music venues to see the star in actions.
The Mail on Sunday reports: “The cancellation of the tour has even resulted in his long-serving band – including guitarist Davey Johnstone and drummer Nigel Olsson – being laid off until it becomes clear if concerts scheduled for later this year will take place.”
They add: “A number of the domestic staff at the star’s £20million home in the US city of Atlanta have also been told they are not needed.”
A source close to the star is also quoted: “The tour was forecast to make over £60million this year. That revenue has literally disappeared overnight. Nobody expected this.”
The Tiny Dancer singer – who is worth a reported £360 million – previously explained his decision to postpone a number of performances to 2021 as the COVID-19 outbreak impacted the entertainment industry.
His official Twitter account said in a statement posted online in April: “It is with deep regret that Elton John must postpone the remainder of his upcoming North American 2020 dates on his Farewell Yellow Brick Road tour from May 22 through July 8.
“Previously postponed performances were from March 26 through May 2, 2020.
“This tough decision has been made with the continued safety and well-being of his fans at a time when health services are under increased pressure…
“And with the concern that these gatherings continue to risk accelerating the spread of the Coronavirus [COVID-19].
“Ticketholders of all 2020 postponed performances should hold onto their original tickets as new show date information for 2021 will be announced soon. All original tickets will be honored at the rescheduled performances.
“Elton promises to continue performing live for all his dedicated fans around the world again and thanks you for your endless support.”
Credit: Source link